VULCAIN CONSOLIDATES ITS NOW FAMOUS “AVIATOR” RANGE WITH A NEW RESOLUTELY SPORTY, MASCULINE MODEL
The longstanding ties between the Manufacture in Le Locle and the field of aviation date back to the 1950s in Switzerland, when Vulcain watches equipped pilots of the national airline company and subsequently found their way across the Atlantic. It was in 1960 that Captain Richard F. Cyr of the US Navy described his attachment to its timepiece “My small friend and I have managed to survive most everything together (…) I am reluctant to let the ordinary jeweler touch it”.
Vulcain accordingly decided to dedicate a full-fledged collection to these knights of the sky: the “Aviator” range.
This year, the Manufacture is offering a new “Aviator Instrument Chronograph” collection comprising six references – equipped with a polished case for the “classic” range and a brushed case for the “sports” range.
The elegance of this chronograph with its refined, sophisticated finishes displays a concern for detail that highlights its virile and contemporary nature.
Playing on contrasting effects, the Arabic numerals are enhanced with Superluminova, while the pushpieces match the colour of the dial and the case features alternating polished and brushed finishes.
Equipped with hour and minute hands, a date window at 6 o’clock, a chronograph sweep-seconds hand, as well as 30-minute and 12-hour counters at 3 and 6 o’clock respectively, this timepiece springs a surprise at 9 o’clock. In a nod to aviation, it features a seconds counter reminiscent of the “Alarm Flag” appearing on radio altimeter cockpit instruments. Reinforcing the dynamic design of this model, the oscillating weight has been openworked to provide a glimpse of the movement.
- Case: 316L Steel
- Pusher: all rhodium or with blue, black or red head
- Case-back: sapphire
- Dial: silver, charcoal grey, blue or chocolate rhodiumed applies / black or off-white with rhodiumed applies
- Diameter: 44,60 mm
- Height: 15,40 mm
- Glass: domed shape sapphire crystal
- Water resistance: 10 ATM
CALIBRE VULCAIN AUTOMATIC V-59
- Movement: 13¼-lignes mechanical chronograph unidirectional self-winding calibre with date, 27 jewels, 247 components, lift angle 49°
- Decoration: nickel coating, skeleton rotor
- Functions: hour, minute, seconds counter at 9 o’clock, date window at 6 o’clock, centre second chronograph, 30-minute chronograph counter at 3 o’clock, 12-hour counter at 6 o’clock
- Frequency: 28’800 vibrations per hour
- Power reserve: 48 hours
- Strap: black / blue / chestnut leather / brown leather
- Dimensions: 23/20 mm
- Buckle: steel folding clasp