Watch collectors, be forewarned: this year, Victorinox Swiss Army is presenting two limited numbered Airboss series in matt titanium gray--300 pieces for the chronograph version; 500 for the three-handed watch model. Both feature a mechanical movement with automatic winding.
In military engineering, functionality and quality are the top priorities. There is no room for frills. “The first wristwatches, designed back in the early 20th century, were for soldiers and pilots,” explains François Nunez, Victorinox Swiss Army Product Director. “They had to be ergonomic instruments, simple and robust, and legible and glare-proof in even the worst conditions. These essential functions correspond perfectly with our watchmaking philosophy.”
The new matte sand gray case is in grade 2 titanium. The dial is in the same tone, with oversized indexes and easy-to-read hands. An original monochrome treatment gives the two versions an extra touch of refinement, highlighted by a brushed brown leather strap with a velvety soft side reminiscent of classic aviator jackets. This subtle play of tones and details is also found in the military time display: in a first for the brand, the hours are stamped in red on an inner circle under the sapphire crystal, giving a unique depth to the design.
The chronograph and three-hand model are uniquely sized at 42 mm. The chronograph houses the famous Valjoux 7750 movement. The functions are controlled by two buttons on the right side of the case, on each side of the crown. The counters are positioned at 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock. The date window is at 3 o'clock. The three-hand watch model is outfitted with the ETA 2824-2 movement, with date window at 6 o'clock.
The titanium Airboss series are limited editions: 300 for the chronograph; 500 for the 3-hand watch. Each comes in an elegant box, complete with a plaque engraved with the series number. Functional, authentic and honest, Airboss focuses on the essentials to keep its promise: to be a companion for everyday life.
Invalid Scald ID.
- 42 mm (chronograph + 3 hand watch) in grade 2 titanium (sand gray)
- Scratch-resistant crystal with triple antireflection treatment
- Waterproof to 100 meters (10 ATM / 330 feet)
- Screwed-on caseback in sand gray titanium, with “Swiss Air Force” engraving
Dials and bracelets
- Titanium gray colored dial
- Luminescent numbers + hand and minute hands
- Military time in red stamped under the crystal
- Date window at 3 o’clock (chronograph) or 6 o’clock (watch)
- Dark brown strap in brushed leather
- Chronograph: Valjoux 7750 automatic winding mechanical movement
- Watch: ETA 2824-2 automatic winding mechanical movement
- Functions Chronograph: hours, minutes, seconds, date, 30 minutes chronograph counter at 12 o’clock, 12-Hour counter at 6 o’clock, small seconds at 9 o’clock
- Watch: hour, minute and second hands, date window at 6 o’clock
Availability Fall/Winter 2013