2014, year of the horse
Introducing a fresh tribute in the ongoing saga of the Métiers d’Art collection, Vacheron Constantin presents The Legend of the Chinese Zodiac – a series of captivating timepieces based on the 12-year cycle. A symbol of a lively and independent spirit, the sign of the horse will take over from the snake on February 1st 2014. To mark this occasion, the Manufacture presents two new watch creations magnificently enhanced by enamelling and engraving.
Since its founding in 1755, Vacheron Constantin has excelled in the field of precious ornamental techniques and cultivates passionate ties with the artistic crafts that it has consistently promoted by nurturing the transmission of expertise from one generation to the next. This know-how provides the Geneva-based watchmaking Maison with the opportunity to highlight its fundamental values – including of course its constant quest for excellence, as well as sharing passion, passing on knowledge and openness to the world expressed through unconditional support for both native and foreign forms of artistic expression.
Then comes the stage of Grand Feu enamelling, a technique invented in Geneva and which remains the exclusive preserve of a rare breed of artisans. By applying the enamel in successive layers, the enamel specialist further enhances the visual intensity of the blue or bronze-toned dial. The necessity of maintaining tight control of the colour and the reactions to the firing process that takes place in a kiln at around 800 to 900°C, calls for a specific way of reasoning that takes years to acquire. A final layer of enamel is then applied before a final firing operation that vitrifies the dial and lends a shiny glazed effect that gives added definition to the floral motif.
The horse is delicately applied to the centre of the dial, poised as if ready to galop through the sapphire crystal and thus creating a truly striking effect.
The 2014, year of the horse model, part of the Métiers d’Art The Legend of the Chinese Zodiac collection, is endowed with that unique touch of soul possessed by watches bearing the Hallmark of Geneva. With this exceptional collection, Vacheron Constantin intends to pursue its special ongoing dialogue with collectors and devotees of Fine Watchmaking.
86073/000P-9752 - Platinum
86073/000R-9751 - Pink gold
- Caliber 2460 G4, developed and crafted by Vacheron Constantin
- Energy Mechanical, self-winding
- Movement diameter 31.00 mm (11’’’ . )
- Movement thickness 6.05 mm
- Number of jewels 27
- Frequency 4Hz (28,800 vibrations/hour)
- Number of components 237
- Indications Hours, minutes, day of the week and date
- Power reserve Approximately 40 hours
- Platinum 950 / 18K 5N pink gold case
- 40 mm diameter
- 12.74 mm thick
- Transparent sapphire crystal caseback
- Water-Resistance Tested at a pressure of 3 bar (approximately 30 meters)
- 18K gold hand-engraved, coated with “Grand Feu” blue / bronze enamelling
- Hand-engraved platinum 950 / 18K 5N gold snake
- Dark blue / Brown Mississippiensis alligator, large square scales, hand stiched, saddle-finish
- Platinum 950 / 18k 5N pink gold folding clasp
- Half Maltese cross