There are some materials whose striking simplicity represents a rich source of inspiration for craftsmen. One of these is straw. Used in miniature marquetry, it adorns the dial of the Arceau watch with an iconic motif in bright colours.
Straw is an extraordinary material: a long, smooth rye stem, from which the usable parts have been patiently selected. The plant, which is a variety cultivated on a single farm, is delicately scythed by hand and then dyed through. Successive baths followed by drying reveal brilliant and profound colours with subtle highlights.
Combining the colours, shades and direction of the fibres of each strand, the craftsman patterns the straw marquetry that will constitute the dial of the watch. With infinite precision, he cuts each piece and assembles them one by one in an unimaginably small space, reproducing the tricks of perspective that characterise the H Cube motif – designed, like the Arceau watch, by Henri d’Origny.
This geometric view, emphasised by a white gold case featuring a diameter of 41 mm and asymmetrical attachments, is powered by an H1837 Manufacture movement that can be seen through the sapphire crystal case back.
- Mechanical self-winding movement, crafted in Switzerland
- Vaucher Manufacture H1837
- Diameter 26 mm (11 ó’’’)
- Thickness 3.7 mm
- Power Reserve 50 hours
- Frequency 28’800 vibrations per hour / 4Hz
- Number of components 193 components
- Jewelling 28 jewels
- Decoration Circular-grained and snailed mainplate, satin-brushed bridges and oscillating weight adorned with the special Hermès decoration (H symbols). Hermès Paris engraving
- Functions Hours, minutes
- Shape / dimensions Round, 41 mm diameter
- Material 750 white gold (≈ 53.36 g)
- Crystal Anti-glare sapphire crystal and case-back
- Water-resistance To 3 atm
- Inter-horn width 21 mm
- Straw marquetry dial, H-cube motif Orange, claret-red, fuchsia, coral and purple tones
- Rhodium-plated hands
STRAP Smooth ember alligator
BUCKLE 17 mm pin buckle in 750 white gold (≈ 5.37 g)