Having won the 2011 “Aiguille d’Or”, the highest distinction awarded by the Geneva Watchmaking Grand Prix, for its DB28 model, De Bethune now offers a matt black interpretation of its iconic model, available in a limited edition.
Adorned with its famous crown at 12 o’clock, the DB28 which is known for the surprising lightness of its case and the comfort of its floating lugs – a patented system that adapts to the size of the wrist and its various movements – is as supple as ever, since the lightness of titanium is replaced by that of zirconium.
In its research on materials and new processes, De Bethune saw the choice to machine zirconium as a natural and sustainable alternative, both for its properties and its colour. The hardness of the metal, together with stable oxidation that is unaffected by daily changes in temperature, are twin assets that guarantee the resistance and durability of the exterior of a timepiece.
Despite the mirror-polished shiny look of its dial, the DB28 Dark Shadows nonetheless opts for a satin-brushed zirconium case creating an all-matt effect.
Its dial opens a window onto the movement, displaying a wealth of nuances including multiple ways in which the light plays across the material and its different finishes to reveal a variety of shades ranging from anthracite grey to intense black. A touch of ruthenium and hand-polished blackened steel accompany the sandblasted bridges and the refined elegance of Côtes de Genève reinterpreted by De Bethune.
The DB28 is equipped with Calibre DB2115 which is endowed with the numerous technological innovations developed and produced within the Manufacture. Its precision is further consolidated by the self-regulating twin barrel and by the presence within the regulating organ of a silicon/palladium balance wheel and a balance-spring with a flat terminal curve, protected by the triple pare-chute system.
As one can see from careful observation of the sky, moon phases are read off on an exclusive display by means of a palladium and anthracite zirconium hand-polished steel sphere spinning on its axis and boasting a degree of precision equivalent to a mere one-day difference every 122 years.
A new interpretation of a flagship model, featuring a design combining classical and contemporary codes, highlights the technical breakthroughs achieved by the Manufacture and the meticulous decoration work of its artisans, custodians of age-old expertise.
Functions Hours – minutes – spherical moon-phase indication – performance indication – power-reserve indication
- DB2115 calibre – mechanical hand-wound movement
- Power reserve: 6 days
- Sandblasted anthracite zirconium – round shaped – diameter 42.60 mm – thickness 9.20 mm
- Attachments: short or long floating lugs* in sandblasted anthracite zirconium
- Glass: sapphire crystal, 1800 Vickers hardness with double anti-reflective treatment
- Crown: screw-down at 12 o’clock – setting in 2 positions
- Back: open – 6-day power-reserve indication – rose gold rack
- Dial: black – anthracite zirconium mirror-polished hours ring – spherical hour-markers in black mirror-polished steel – black steel parts – black matt ruthenium – Côtes De Bethune – performance-zone read-off between 2 and 3 o’clock – De Bethune spherical moon-phase indication in palladium and anthracite zirconium polished at 6 o’clock
- Hands: black polished steel
- Extra-supple alligator leather strap with pin buckle
Movement: mechanical hand-wound movement Functions: hours – minutes – De Bethune spherical moon-phase at 6 o’clock – power reserve on the back – performance indication
Diameter 30 mm – 299 parts – hand-crafted finishing and decoration – black mirror-polished steel parts – Côtes De Bethune
Self-regulating twin barrel* Silicon/palladium balance wheel – balance-spring with flat terminal curve* Triple pare-chute shock-absorbing system* Spherical moon-phase indication accurate to a degree of one lunar day every 122 years * Silicon escape-wheel*
Jewelling: 38 jewels
Frequency: 28,800 vibrations per hour
Power reserve: 6 days
*Manufacture De Bethune innovations and registered patents