December 2013 - Armin Strom, the Swiss watch manufacturer, celebrated the UK launch of a new timepiece: its Tourbillon Gravity Fire, a tourbillon watch with a micro rotor winding mechanism.
The introduction is less than a year after the release of Armin Strom’s first calibre with a rotating carriage.
The timepiece was unveiled at an exclusive VIP reception hosted by The Markerstudy Group at Salomons Country Estate in Royal Tunbridge Wells in Kent, England, on December 3. Guests included Max Chilton, Formula 1 driver of the Marussia F1 Team, a watch enthusiast and Armin Strom brand ambassador, plus some of Kent’s most affluent and influential style setters and decision makers.
On the dial side, the timepiece reveals the two opposites that animate every watch movement: winding and regulation. While the tourbillon mechanism makes regulation more precise by reducing the effect of gravity, the micro rotor harnesses this same power to supply energy to the gear train, thus exploiting both the positive and negative impacts of the Earth’s gravitation. The hands display the time from an off-centre axis.
Serge Michel, owner of Armin Strom, said: “We are delighted to launch the new Tourbillon Gravity Fire at such a prestigious occasion. As with all our timepieces, this watch demonstrates the highest level of handmade craftsmanship, which has been the success behind Armin Strom for over 40 years. It is a timepiece that will prove irresistible for collectors who value this level of manufacture.”
Armin Strom was established by founder, Armin Strom, 40 years ago. As a Master Skeletonizer, his unique design style created a skeletal appearance which showed off the hand-finished movement of the watch considered too good to remain hidden behind a dial and a steel case back. This iconic horological design remains central to the company philosophy today.
The Armin Strom Tourbillon Gravity Fire continues this unique design style and features the flame motif inspired engraving, which adorns all Fire timepiece movements, together with an 18ct rose gold case. The new edition will be limited to 50 pieces.
- ARMIN STROM calibre ATM13
- Automatic-winding, Tourbillon, 110h power reserve, small seconds and off-centre time indications
- Frequency: 18,000 A/h
- Jewels: 26
- Number of components: 197
- For more info on calibre, see last page
- 18ct rose gold
- Sapphire crystal and case back with anti-reflective treatment
- Diameter: 43.40 mm
- Total height: 13.00 mm
- Water-resistance: 50 m
- Black with founded appliques
- Rose gold
- Delivered with a genuine brown alligator horn-back strap and double-fold clasp in 18ct rose gold as well as an additional brown rubber strap
CALIBRE ATM13 16½‘‘‘
- Functions: Hour, minute, small second, Tourbillon
- Winding-mechanism: Automatic winding with micro rotor turning on the dial side
- Impulse: Single going barrel
- Plate and bridges: Plate and tourbillon bridge are decorated at the highest quality level, hand-engravings always correspond to the element Fire
- Escapement: Escape wheel and pallets made of solid gold with hardened functional areas
- Regulating system: Screwed balance with Breguet spiral
- Frequency: 18,000 A/h
- Number of Jewels: 26
- Number of individual parts: 197
- Diameter: 36.60 mm
- Height: 6.20 mm
- Power reserve: 110h